samedi 17 janvier 2015

cd to previous directory without echo of directory name


This answer gave me cd - as shorthand to change to my previous directory in Bash. It does have a major problem: it prints the directory it changes to, wasting my screen space, as that directory is then repeated in the prompt on the next line.


I know I can do cd $OLDPWD, also mentioned in that answer, and cd - >/dev/null but that is much more typing.


In the bash man page it says:



... or if - is the first argument, and the directory change is successful, the absolute path name of the new working directory is written to the standard output.



How can I make - not to be the first argument? By using any of the cd optional arguments? Any other way to suppress the echo or minimise typing without the need for defining functions/aliases on every machine I work with?



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire