vendredi 30 janvier 2015

FreeBSD 10.1 sound not working


I am new to BSD and I am experimenting with getting an old(ish) Packard Bell desktop machine out of mothballs. The basic installation of FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE for amd64 seems to have gone fine, but I am stuck trying to get the sound card working.


The hardware is based on a Gigabit motherboard hosting an Intel P4 processor, with integrated audio that uses the Intel High Definition Audio chipset. Under Linux the audio driver selected is snd_hda_intel, and the expectation under FreeBSD was that the snd_hda module would drive the audio.


After installing FreeBSD the sound was not working, but I followed the instructions available online in a number of places, using kldload to experiment with different drivers. I found that the amd64 GENERIC kernel already has sound and many sound drivers pre-loaded, so efforts to use kldload were misplaced. However, there is no record of any driver installed in the /dev/sndstat file, and attempts to make noise by typing cat /random > /dev/dsp return error messages saying the operation is not allowed.


What I want to know is, am I wasting my effort to get an ageing sound card working, or is there some trick I have missed?



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire