mercredi 25 mars 2015

What is the IPsec bottleneck in Linux?


I am trying to compare the performance of several network security protocols between two hosts connected in Gigabit Ethernet.


My goal here is to see if I can saturate my bandwidth, and if not, what is the limiting factor.



  • with SSL, I can reach 981 MBit/s, so the Ethernet link is obviously the limiting factor ;

  • with SSH, I can reach only 750 MBit/s, but one of my cores is at 100% usage. As SSH is single-threaded, the CPU is the limiting factor ;

  • with IPsec, I read around 500 MBit/s but none of my cores are at 100% (they are under 50%).


So my question is : why can't IPsec reach a higher bandwidth ?


The two hosts are running Debian Wheezy and Strongswan for IPsec.



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire